[KS] Re: Seoul, Globalisation and culture

Jamie Paquin jamiepaquin at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 31 08:25:20 EST 1999

Dear list members,
I am a Master's student in Sociology writing my thesis on the implications
of globalisation for the built and socio-cultural landscapes of Seoul.  I am
primarily concerned with cultural processes; economic issues are of interest
to me only in how they relate to cultural change.  I have spent a total of
21 months over three years in Seoul so I am familiar with the city.

If anyone is aware of articles, surveys, reports etc. which speak to the
interaction of the global and the local in Seoul I would greatly appreciate
any references you might offer.  The types of questions I have in mind are
along these lines:

*How do the human, technological, informational and cultural flows
characteristic of globalisation interact at the local level in Seoul?
*Are values and beliefs affected by such interactions?  In what ways?
*What effects has globalisation had on everyday life in the city?
*Has globalisation created new spaces for discourse, identity formation,
cultural practices?
*How is the built environment of the city affected by globalisation?
*How prominent is the notion of globalisation in the imaginary of the
average person?
*How does Seoul differ from the rest of the country as a result of its more
direct interaction with the global?

Literary sources (preferably translated), dissertations, theses etc. would
also be quite helpful.

Thank-you kindly in advance,
Jamie Paquin
Department of Sociology