[KS] traditional cure for leprosy?

Kirk Larsen kwlarsen at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 15 13:14:33 EDT 1999

Dear list,

I am writing concerning references to the idea that Koreans believed that
leprosy might be cured by eating the flesh of children. Bruce Cumings
mentions this belief in passing in his _Korea's Place in the Sun_ (127);
he cites J.S. Gale's _History of the Korean People_. I have also been told
of this belief by several Korean colleagues so I assume that it had some
sort of circulation in Korea.  My question is when? Where? How?  Does this
belief appear in Korean literature? Folklore? Any suggestions as to where
I might look will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kirk Larsen
History Dept., Harvard University
Visiting Lecturer, University of Texas at Austin