[KS] Taebaek Cheonje

David A. Mason mntnwolf at well.com
Fri Oct 1 07:02:32 EDT 1999

Dear all,

Check this out:

http://korea.insights.co.kr/webzine/pathways/web/index.html

It's my latest travel-article, this time on Taebaek-san and the
Taebaek Cheonje [Ceremony for Heaven] held on its peak every Oct.
3rd or Kye-cheon-jeol [Heaven-Opening Day, or National Foundation Day].
It happens to be my first Web-publication.

I'm leaving soon for Taebaek, to witness this ceremony on Sunday morn,
for my third time.  I'm bringing along 10 Yonsei University students,
to introduce them to this fascinating continuation of Korean traditions.
They are half the members of the Sam-guk-yusa-in-English Study Group
(extra-curricular) that I started this semester.  We use the 1972 Yonsei
Press translation of Sam-guk-yusa as text, for simultaneously learning
English and Korean cultural history.  This expedition is our first field-
trip.  The students are enthusiastic about the group, so far.

If any of you are in Korea, and climb up to this ceremony on Sunday
(11am), we'll see you there!

And while I'm here, let me also announce this:

HIKING TOUR of rarely-visited mountains in Kyeongju, Korea's ancient
capital, October 9th-10th, leaving from Seoul.
Two rarely-visited sacred mountains, Dan-seok-san and Kyeongju Nam-san,
will be explored and explained.
Your chance to see some of Korea's best ancient Buddhist carvings,
high up on the slopes.  I'll be the not-so-Great Leader   :-)
Call RAS at 02-763-9483 to register,  or me at 017-378-7590 for details.

Prof. David A. Mason
Yonsei University, Maeji Campus
Wonju City
Origin-of-the-Rivers Province