[KS] Re: The name Corea

Henny Savenije adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Thu Sep 16 15:26:20 EDT 1999

At 11:50 PM 9/14/99 , you wrote:
>May I ask why the possible origins of the western tanslitteration coming
>from the Arab language is ruled out _in principio_? It is known that Arab
>merchants were sometimes in Korea in the period between the Xth Century and
>the XIIIth Century. So why it was not possible that the Portuguese (or the
>Spanish) first knew about Korea from the Arabs?

Of course anything is possible, but the Arabs and Spanish/Portuguese were
not particularly on friendly terms, in the East the Arabs were not
particularly happy with these new competitors either, though they couldn't
do much about it. If you can find any proof (better than assumptions) I
would be happy to see it. Please contact "Braham Norwick"
<bnorwick at worldnet.att.net>  he is busy showing Arab influences on Asian
maps, maybe he can guide you to someone who does the reverse: studying Arab
documents or maps.

Anyhow I wish you happy hunting in your quest
Henny  (Lee Hae Kang)

Feel free to visit
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl
and feel the thrill of Hamel discovering Korea (1653-1666)