[KS] THINK NO EVIL: KOREAN VALUES IN THE AGE OF GLOBALIZATION

Fred Alford falford at gvpt.umd.edu
Wed Sep 15 20:32:20 EDT 1999

I hope this won't be considered a crass commercial message.  I just published a book that members of the Korean studies list may be interested in: KOREA DOES NOT BELIEVE IN EVIL: KOREAN VALUES IN THE AGE OF GLOBALIZATION. Based on interviews with over 250 Koreans from all walks of life, I discover that behind Korea's apparent embrace of globalization lies a deep fear of losing everything valuable to it. There is much more as well, including criticism of Janelli's argument in MAKING CAPITALISM: THE SOCIAL AND CULTURAL CONSTRUCTION OF A KOREAN CONGLOMERATE. I also wonder why Koreans don't believe in evil, and if it matters.
My e-mail address is falford at gvpt.umd.edu if you want to ask me more about it, or argue about it. The book is available from Cornell UP, or from Amazon.com, etc. C. Fred Alford, Professor of Government, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742 USA