[KS] Re[3]: Spelling of the name Korea

martin_holman at berea.edu martin_holman at berea.edu
Wed Sep 15 11:15:10 EDT 1999

     Not being a/an historian (see, a literature guy like me doesn't even
     know which is acceptable), I feel as though I am treading on thin ice
     when discussing questions of establishing historical "fact." But,
     golly, I KNOW with all my heart that katakana originated well over
     half a millenium before the Jesuits got to Japan. We're not talking
     decades here--the Japanese were using katakana as a mnemonic device
     for reading Chinese texts as early as 828 (earliest extant document
     that used katakana) and by the mid-900s were writing native Japanese
     poetry in katakana (Gosen wakashuu, 955-966).

     One may WISH to believe that the Jesuits insinuated themselves into
     Japanese society by getting the Japanese to write Portuguese words in
     hiragana and getting the Japanese to relegate Dutch words to some
     newly-developed script-for-foreign-words that functioned to ghettoize
     the poor Dutch in Japanese eyes, BUT by 16th century katakana already
     had racked up a long working career as a script for representing both
     Japanese and words adopted from other languages. It was NOT new in the
     1500s. By then it had been used extensively in many kinds of documents
     for at least 600 years.

     How, you may ask, can he state the above with such authority? Why, he
     got up off his duff, WALKED ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE STREET, and used
     the Encyclopedia of Japan article "Kana" by Haruo Aoki to confirm what
     he thought he had heard from Aoki in grad school.

     This Corea/Korea storm has some strange breezes blowing through it.
     (Could it be the effects of Floyd?) But, really, facts can sometimes
     be our friends.

     Marty Holman
     Berea College