[KS] Repetition of invasions past!

Michael Goodwin mgoodwin at greenvillenc.com
Fri Apr 21 11:24:42 EDT 2000

Hello Everybody:

I imagine you all can barely abide me after the recent debacle. But I
just couldn't let this one slide!

An article in today's KHerald entitled, "Korean unification will cost up
to $3.6 trillion, report says" contains this zinger:

"...Goldman Sachs advised Korea to pursue a different unification
approach from that followed by Germany. While Germany focused on
political factors, it said, Korea should focus on economic factors, such
as reducing the productivity gap by limiting worker movement from the
North to the South and promoting capital inflow from the South to the
North..."

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/news/2000/04/__05/20000422_0539.htm

Isn't it neat! Goldman Sachs is now marketing the "maquilladora" concept
for Korea! ("Yes you too Mr. & Mrs. Kim --in association with a few
selected investors and our Wall St. firm of course-- can now have your
very own Free Trade Zone complete with captive labor, low wages, and a
deregulated economic environment until 2010! What better future could
you wish for for your separated family members?")

I guess this is the way history is redressed in the age of
globalization; a repetition of invasions past --but this time with the
political dimension excised and replaced by a surgical strike for the
chaebol and international finance. How nice!

Mike Goodwin
(Toronto, CA & Greenville, NC)