[KS] Problems in Korea

Brother Anthony anthony at ccs.sogang.ac.kr
Mon Apr 10 20:51:42 EDT 2000

I quite agree with Frank, the English problem is only the tip of the iceberg and the
real problems are far more challenging. I am struck by the immense kindness,
serviability, and devotion to their job of a very large number of people working in
the ministries and institutions, including (since I mentioned it and might have
seemed to be attacking, which was NOT my intention) the Ministry of Culture and
Tourism. There is certainly a problem near the top of the administrative ladders,
there are so many cases where incoherence breaks through, like the double disastrous
translations for the musical (but there was surely no one whose responsibility it was
to oversee that aspect, a fault of structural planning). But also like all the
regulations still making it hard for people from elsewhere to do business here,
despite directives from the Top. No well-formulated broad vision, lots of confusion,
No Time, petty regulations to give the impression of order, and people whose job is
to enforce the rules, not think about them (Frank's guards).
Oh dear, poor Korea. But the prospect of June's Pyongyang Encounter is so amazing...
Brother Anthony