[KS] Re: Help for resources about the Korean War

Changzoo Song changzoos at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 13:35:50 EDT 2000

Dear Jori Leusden:

There were about 300 or so -- not sure about the number -- North Korean POWs
who chose not to stay in Korea, either North or South when they were given a
chance to choose at the end of the War. They were initially sent to India,
then a neutral country which was in charge of the matters of the POWs.
Later, however, it was Brazilian government that agreed to accept them, and
most of the POWs settled in Brazil. The great majority of them married
Brazilian women. Later, in the 1960s South Korean immigrants came to Brazil,
but the latter seldom mixed with the former. Instead, the immigrants from
South did not want to associate with the POWs from North, considering them
"betrayers of the nation." Chon Kyong-soo, an anthropology professor at the
Seoul National University, mentions about the life and whereabouts of those
North Korean POWs living in Brazil in his book "Purajil ui Hangugin" (The
Koreans in Brazil) published sometime in the mid-1990s (in Korean). I saw
the book at the University of Hawaii's Hamilton Library. Good luck with your
research!

Changzoo Song
CEP Visiting Lecturer
Riga Stradins University