[KS] Re: Q: Korean-American community

Mickey Hong hong at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU
Sat Apr 1 14:41:15 EST 2000

>  I don't
> have the more recent one on me right now, but it shdn't be hard to find--it
> sold well).

It's _Ch'umch'unUn  Ch'oe SUnghUi_ by ChOng PyOngho (Ppurigip'un namu, 1995).

> ...but I've heard rumors that people
> haven't been able to find it ever since a researcher photocopied it a few
> years ago, and there was a portfolio of photographs in the Independence
> Museum's library as of spring 1998.

The autobiography is in the special collection--it's not on shelf.  In 1997, I
was allowed to photocopy it after much BEGGING.

> Also,
> there was a successful Japanese *film* on Ch'oe made when she was a
> fabulously well-received performer there (it's common to see stills from it
> in publications on Ch'oe), but I don't think anyone's been able to dig up a
> print; again, dance editors wd know--it wd be an incredible event if it
> were discovered and shown in Korea.

The title is _Hanto no maihime_ (Dancer of the Peninsula) (1936).  Unfortunately,
a copy of the film has yet to be found.  If it exists at all, it might be in NK.
Prof. ChOng, the author of the above book searched for it all over Japan & the
only one he has found was already dust in a tin.

-MH