[KS] Re: gynecologists

Susie Jie Young Kim sjykim at ucla.edu
Tue Aug 29 22:59:00 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Ditto on the "wow." I've appreciated Henny's contributions to this list as much
as the next person, but that original posting did shock me too (though, to be
fair, I've had similar reactions to  the tenor of other postings from recent
months as well).

It seems to me that the problem lies with Western medical practices as an
institution. I am not deriding the medical institution as a whole for it serves
an important role, but it is certainly not without its faults.

As for Caesarean sections, it's not just a "KOrean" problem. In fact, the high
rate of unnecessary C-sections has  become such a problem in the US that in the
last couple of years it was featured in more than one mainstream news-magazine
show on American TV. I can't recall the figures , but in any case, there's more
than a few bitter  women in the US who were coerced into having C-sections when
they were not in the state of mind to make such a decision, etc.

To elaborate on Peter Schroepfer's comments, there was a documentary series on
KBS on birth culture, with a focus on introducing alternative methods, etc. The
woman he referred to in his posting (I think she's actually a dancer) was
included, as well as midwife clinics in Japan where women "sing" through their
contractions and give birth in a squatting position (which is apparently less
stressful on the woman and more "natural" than the clinially approved
horizontal position).

HOlland sounds like an ideal place for pregnant women. In the US, many doctors
still frown upon midwives, giving birth at home, etc. -- anything that doesn't
involve their actual presence and participation and that doesn't fit into what
they deem as "proper" medical practice.

Henny, hope all goes well for you and your wife.

Susie J. Kim