[KS] Re: Alceste

Henny Savenije adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Sun Dec 31 19:53:15 EST 2000

Dear Andrea

The last one I found
>170 M'Leod, John Voyage of his majesty's ship Alceste to China, Corea and
>the Island of Lewchew with an account of her shipwreck
>London, 1820. 339 pp. 5 chromo-lithographs in colour. 22x13 cm. Cloth.
>Dfl 780,00
>Very fine copy of this early account of a voyage to the Ryukyu islands.

On this URL:
http://www.nvva.nl/hotei/cat16.htm

>I have found a copy of the book written around 1816 about the voyage of
>the ship "Alceste" to Korea, etc (4-5 illustrations, a map and around 300
>pp. of text).

Actually the map makes it more expensive, old books and maps are after
collectors items. The book of Hoetink I bought was 350 guilders, never
opened and never read, since I had to cut the pages open ;-)

Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------

Feel free to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl (in English)
In Korean
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/indexk2.htm
In Dutch
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/Dutch
Frits Vos Article about Witsen and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch
dictionary
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/FritsVos
Korea through Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.crosswinds.net/~hennysavenije/ (in English)