[KS] Re: Se habla Han'gul?

John Duggan duggan_john at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 23:29:15 EST 2000

Usually in speech, Ken, I've heard urinara-mal as simply uri-mal. Among
older Koreans in the late 1970's one might still hear Choso'n-mal.  I really
doubt that han'gul has ever been used to describe the spoken language. I
believe the term "han'gul" itself, for the writing system, is a neologism
from the early 1900's.  Koreans had to be taught at some that their script
would then be called "han'gul."
The perception among those of us with the U.S. military who do not speak
Korean that

han'gul = Korean language

is pretty common.  I can't say how many times I've winced at some U.S. staff
officer say, "Let's han'gulize this..."  e.g. let's get a briefing
translated into Korean.  Might this be in the same boorish category as a
term of endearment (Yo'bo) becoming a noun for one's mistress, or pickled
radish (kimch'i) becoming the ubiquitous adjective for the country?