[KS] Re: Se habla Han'gul?

Lionel Babicz babicz at h2.hum.huji.ac.il
Thu Jan 27 10:27:16 EST 2000

Just to add an element to the discussion.
Japan NHK Korean courses on radio and TV are called "Annyong
Hashimnikka-Hangul Koza".  I heard the reason was the will to avoid the
words "Kankokugo", which reminds ROK, and "Chosengo", which reminds DPRK. In
the same way, you can find some Korean language study books which use the
word "hangul"in their title (such as the 5 volumes "Sutandado Hangul Koza",
Taishukan Shoten). But the majority of the books use either the words
"kankokugo" or "chosengo".
As a result of this confusion, I heard Korean people using the word "hangul"
for the Korean language while speaking in Japanese.

--
Dr. Lionel Babicz
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem