[KS] Re: General Sherman

Richard C. Miller rcmiller at students.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 6 21:34:19 EST 2000

At 05:13 PM 1/6/00 -0500, John Somerville wrote:
>I am looking for some background information on the General Sherman, the ill
>fated boat that was destroyed near Pyongyang in 1866.

Try the Salem Naval Museum website ( http://www.uss-salem.org/ ). They are
in the process of putting the multivolume Dictionary of American Naval
Fighting Ships online. A quick look through what they have so far showed
one ship named the General Sherman (under "steamers"), built with that name
to support the Union Army during the Civil War. However, the entry ends
with the decommissioning of the ship in Chattanooga at the end of the war,
so I don't know if it connects with the other General Sherman or not. In
any case, if you email the people inputting the Dictionary, they can
doubtless check into for you.

Good luck!
--Richard C. Miller
--UW School of Music