[KS] Tangun and Korean Shamanism

HKHogarth at aol.com HKHogarth at aol.com
Sat Jul 29 07:47:47 EDT 2000

Dear Dr. (?) Deutsch,

With reference to you recent emails,  my answers to your queries are as
follows:

1.  It is true that there exists some confusion even among the Koreans
regarding  the correct pronunciation of  Mani-san. But as I stated earlier,
the officially accepted name (also used in Korean academia) appears to be
Mani-san.  The confusion arises because of the Sino-Korean characters used
for the mountain.  For example, at the entrance of the park leading to the
summit and the Tan'gun Shrine, there stands a rock marked with Chinese
characters  which should be pronounced 'Mari-san.'  Therefore, I myself used
'Mari-san' for a long time, until I was correctly by several Korean scholars
and also the editor of an emminent publishing company.

2. There are numerous 'hakhoe' ('academies'), which specialize in research
into Tan'gun, but most of them cannot be called 'academy' in the strict sense
of the word.    The shrine on Kanghwa-do is maintained by Tan Tan Hakhoe, one
of those research organizations; it is not the name of the shrine. According
to Cho HUngyun,  there exist 12 such 'academies,'   33 religious
organizations and 8 societies, specializing in Tan'gun.  But given the nature
of the organizations, those figures are of course fluid. For details, please
refer to the article by Prof. Cho (unfortunately written in Korean with lots
of complex Chinese characters!)  in 'Tan'gun', ed. by Yun IhUm, published in
1994 by Seoul National University Press, pp 332-352.

3. I understand that Kim KUmhwa has retired.  Mr. Choe NamOk, the president
of Taehan SUnggong KyOngshin YOnhaphoe (The Korean Sprit Worshippers'
Association for Victory Over Communism-the largest society of Korean
shamans), told me last month that she had recently given away all her
shamanistic paraphernalia and no longer practised her profession.

You may find her books of some interest.  In 1995, she published two books,
(1) a sort of memoirs, commonly called 'sup'ilchip (essays)' in Korean,
entitled 'PogUn nanugo hanUn p'ushige (Let's Share Good Fortune and Disperse
Grievances)' , pub. by P'urUnsup, 303 pages, price 6,500 won,  and (2) a
collection of her muga (shamanistic songs), entitled 'Kim KUmhwa Ui muga
chip'  pub. by MunUmsa, 439 pages, price 35,000 won.  Neither book is
academic in nature, but both are easy to read (in simple Korean with no
Chinese characters) and make interesting reading, and provide some insights
into Korean shamanism.

As far as I know, the name of Kim KUmhwa's spirit daughter in Los Angeles  is
Ch'ae Hia, not Park Hia (Please refer to  'Han'gugin Ui kut kwa mudang', by
Hwang Rushi, 1988, pub. by MunUmsa, pp 32-41, and some other publications
recording Ch'ae's initiation ritual held in 1981).  But there again, she may
have married a Mr. Park, and changed her name since then!  Incidentally, I
prefer to call a student shaman, a spirit daughter/son, to distinguish
apprentice shamans from Catholic god sons/daughters.

4. As for my books,  both are written in English. I understand that my first
book is being reviewed somewhere.  Unfortunately the publisher of my second
book,  Korean Shamanism and Cultural Nationalism, has been experiencing a
cash flow problem.  So it will be a little difficult to expect them to send
you a review copy.  Last time I asked them to send one to the editor of a
journal, they just ignored me. However, I can arrange for a special discount,
if you wish.

Yours,
Hyun-key Kim Hogarth (Dr.)

PS.    Incidentally I am a female anthropologist.