[KS] Re: Contemporary Discussion

Carlon Haas king_of_seoul at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 21:20:21 EDT 2000

This is my 3rd try at this letter, so here goes (my
computer doesn't like me today).  First, I am not an
expert in all things Korean, but the "historical
rhetoric" I've found on this list goes a LONG way to
explaining modern Korea.  Unless Korea existed in a
vacuum, then historical analysis is necessary to
understand what's going on, especially for the
environment issue.  I'll give my two cents on a few of
your topics

1.  family
Many Koreans I know like to paint the extended/nuclear
family as a moral issue.  I differ in this opinion.  I
think 2 factors are causing the change from an
extended to nuclear family.  First, the change from an
agricultural to industrial society.  With people
moving out of houses (good for lots of people) to
apartments (not so good for a lot of people), it makes
it not so easy to live together.  Second, I think the
rise of an aging population is a contributing factor.
Before if a person reached there 60th birthday, it
wasa cause for celebration.  Not anymore.  The average
lifespan of a Korean woman is now 78.  Taking care of
the parents looks more and more like a lifelong
experience.  Another factor might be the wonan's
movement.  I'm not sure about that, but I have the
feeling that with more women working there are aren't
enough people to do the taking care of.  Do you think
men are going to do it?

2.  environment

I could go on about rapid industrialization, but I
might get too historical, and I don't have all the
necessary knowledge ofthe Park Chung Hee era to give a
very good analysis.  I can tell you that I did some
translation work for a recycling company once, and
they recycle industrial wastes (including phone
batteries).  Recycling is not popularin Korea (as the
company noted), but it is gaining a foothold, and
although you cannot see it, it's there.

3.  Western influence/Social Upheaval
Your comment:

> A gracefull society built on peace and harmony and
> social values is now
> being
> influenced by some very untoward western values
> which give rise to many
> social
> difficulties between the young and the old in this
> society.

What graceful and harmonious society?  The Chosun
Dynasty?  I've never read of any era in any country's
history that was described a harmonious.  The older
Korean generations were (like it or not) influenced by
Japan.  A wise man, my father-in-law, is quick to tell
me that his generation was influenced by Japanese
culture, even though Koreans don't admit it very much.
 So, instead of doing what many Koreans do (my
father-in-law not included) and romanticise the past,
you should look at it as it was.  As for Western
influence, it can be good sometimes.  For instance, do
you think that the red pepper is native to Korea?  You
would think that it is with all the things they make
out of it, but actually it was introduced into Korea
by the Portugese.  So, like red peppers, it's not what
things ar taken from Western culture, but how they are
applied.  If you don't believe me, read what the Prime
Minister of Malaysia says about Asian Democracy.
According to him, it's a different animal indeed.

=====
Carlon Haas
www.geocities.com/king_of_seoul