[KS] RE: Korean National Anthem

Clark, Donald dclark at trinity.edu
Tue Jul 18 15:25:55 EDT 2000

Hi Horace,

I think Franz Eckert's version of the national anthem was an earlier version
that had nothing to do with Auld Lang Syne and was wholly unlike what was
later the "national anthem" with music by An Ikt'ae and (arguably) lyrica by
Yun Chího.  Here's the passage from Ambassador Karl Leuteritz's mention of
Franz Eckert in TKBRAS 54 (1979) p. 7 which is the basis for the line in the
Yanghwajin cemetery book.  It is a (shall we say) an informal source with at
least one gross misstatement (about Eckert introducing Western music to
Korea).  It's interesting for the bit about Eckert being commissioned to
write the anthem, but our list members in Germany can probably improve on it
as can Gari Ledyard and others:

"At about the same time, we find the former Prussian military bandmaster
Franz Eckert in Seoul as 'Court Composers and Military Music Master,' and it
is through him that Koreans were first introduced to Western music.  Judging
by the results, his impact must have been enormous.  In 1902, he was
commissioned to compose a new national anthem, and for his successful
efforts, he was awarded the "Taeguk Order, 3rd Class" in 1903.  The music is
said still to be preserved in the National Archives, and from there also
came the surprising information that prior to Eckert's anthem, the tune of
'Auld Lang Syne'  had been used for official occsions. . . ."

Hope things are calming down in Seoul,