[KS] Re: Mother of Tangun

Lauren Deutsch ldeutsch at lalc.k12.ca.us
Fri Jul 28 14:22:38 EDT 2000

Dr. Hogarth ... I found your Korean_Studies listserve announcement of two
books: the one you cited here and the other, which is described as being
focused on contemporary practices. I would like to have access to both if
they are in English. If they are not, I would not be able to read them,
although I'm sure the photographic images are of great worth as well.

I spent three weeks with Kim Keum Hwa at the end of May / beginning of June.
I had met her three times previously but only for brief moments and twice in
context of a group, so I didn't have the opportunity to pursue some personal
issues. This time she was very generous indeed in taking me on, so to speak,
and I had many deep experiences with her and members of her troupe, despite
our not speaking a common language.

Thank you again for your assistance. I was fortunate to meet Park Hi-ah in
1990 in Los Angeles, one of Kim Keum-Hwa's god daughters, and learned much
from her. I remain very hungry for more information on shamanism in Korea to
fill in the many blanks of my experiences.
This message has been sent by
Lauren W. Deutsch
Director, Pacific Rim Arts
835 S. Lucerne Blvd., #103, Los Angeles CA 90005 USA
E Mail ldeutsch at lalc.k12.ca.us
Phone (323) 930-2587