[KS] Re: eating dog

Lance Kelly bushrngr at chollian.net
Tue Jul 18 13:16:11 EDT 2000

I myself enjoy a good bout of Emu meat, can'tsay I feel any more virile from eating
dog meat. One chooses the food one prefers.
Interesting info about the red pepper coming from somewhere esle must raise that
with my students. Good debate topic.
Does anyone have the English translation of the Korean antional Anthem or where I
might find it on the web?
My views is dare I say in the framework of postmodern thought, and my comments on
dealing with current issues of the day seem more importnat to me in the restorying
or reconstruction of Korean society and social value.
Dwelling in the past for causal factors for todays society doesn't give a good
framework developing the future. Whilst you will find even in the Chuson period
which tried to outlaw Bhuddist thought, it remained throughout its terribly long
reign, to last even today. Shamansim and Bhuddism both espouse peaceful harmonious
elements as apposed to Confucian thought which appears to be largely hierachial.
I am also told by many Koreans that is why Christianity has taken such a foothold
in this society as they accept most spiritual belief systems in this country.  I
was so surprised to see so many churches on every urban block here and even then
these churches are built like monolithic giants or cathedrals.  The belief in
spiritualism appears to be very strong in this society.
Feminismis taking a hold in Korea as well to my wya of thinking but I believe it to
be a difefrent version of feminist belief to that of our western couterparts. For
even the well educated womens university graduate will tell you about the social
values of family in Korea and their expectations of how women will play a role. I
am still suggesting that this society is stopped in respect for one another and has
less aggressive tendencies than that of western society. I remain to be convinced
otherwise.
Regards,
Lance.
http://www.chollian.net/~bushrngr