[KS] For Walda

maliang@wolmail.nl Roald.Maliangkay at wolmail.nl
Wed Jul 26 09:19:45 EDT 2000

Not that this really adds anything to the "discussion" on dog-meat (let me
just say, I believe that some vegetables undoubtedly have feelings too...),
but I thought president Kim's plans to legalise the cruel dog-meat business
so that some form of standards and control could be upheld was at least a
sign of good will from the government's point of view. Of course, the plan
was slated because it would still put South Korea in the odd position of
being (probably) the only country in the world to have legal dog traîteurs,
which - since (at least) most Westerners are petty-minded - means you'll be
ridiculed forever. On the other hand, the ridicule may actually lead to
action being undertaken, while continuous protests from animal rights
campaigners (which have caused it) may not. That is, however, a rather
painful way of solving this problem, as it is very embarrassing for both
sides.

My friend (Korean) cannot walk her "pet-rescue" dog Walda in a supposedly
posh area of London without getting shouted at or without people asking her
whether Walda is for Christmas dinner. I have even once had to write a
letter of complaint to one renowned school in London for not stopping
another of my Korean friends' fellow students from making continuous jokes
about dog-meat. In The Netherlands, once (but fortunately now no longer)
renowned for the enormous amount of dog-poo on the streets, you find the
same ideas, obviously, though here they often don't even know what "a Korea"
is. I guess it will take many years for the common attitude to disappear.

Roald Maliangkay