[KS] Re: Reginald Horace Blyth

Christine Kim kim32 at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 14 17:15:26 EDT 2000

Hi Professor King:

You probably won't remember me, but we have met -- in the bowels of
HY Library a couple of years ago.  I'm working on Korea's transition
from monarchy to republic.

I am attaching a skimpy and tantalizing chronology of Blyth's life;
you were correct to assume that he as a Brit and somewhat familiar
with Korea.  I know little about his life myself, but am intrigued by
his association with Yi Ûn, the "last crown prince."  By 1945, there
were only two surviving (male) offspring of Kojong: Yi Ûn
(Yôngch'inwang) and his half-brother Yi Kang, aka Ûich'inwang; there
was additionally Kojong's daughter, Tôkhye ongju, who was by then
institutionalized in a pysch ward.

I doubt Ûn was in any position to teach Korean, having lived in Japan
since the age of nine and barely capable of speaking Korean, if at
all.  I take it it was Blyth's connection to the Japanese imperial
household that put him in touch with Yi Ûn, who was most likely
lending his name to the project.  I will check out the textbook,
which is held at the New York Public Library; maybe there's a preface
or something that could shed light.  In the meantime, should you
receive any responses regarding the Korean grammar book production,
or the Blyth/Korean royal connection, or re: Blyth's years at Keijo
Imperial University, I would love to hear from you.

http://www.gardendigest.com/blyth.htm#Biography

Best regards.

Christine Kim
Ph.D. Candidate