[KS] Re: Su Gi (flag)-- Poll

Thomas Duvernay goongdo at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 1 05:40:14 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <SteveElSeg at aol.com>
To: <korean-studies at mailbase.ac.uk>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2000 5:07 AM
Subject: Re: Su Gi (flag)-- Poll

> Enough already about this flag business.
>
> It seems to be a political issue and one that is not really appropriate
for a
> discussion of Korean studies.

Sorry, Steve, but I respectfully disagree with you.  Yes, there is a
political element to it; what, in terms of Koreans studies, _doesn't_ have
political elements to it?  The country's entire history is
politically-charged.

Take a look at past posts.  To some people, their interest lies in M-R
romanization; to others, changing Korea from a 'k' to a 'c', and so on.  All
political in nature.  Yes, the matter of the Su Gi does, necessarily, have a
political element to it; it's politicians who have it locked away.

I have a great range of interest in 'things Korean'; I, happily, receive
mailings on those subjects that I may, or may not, have an interest in.  If
I don't want to read a particular post, I know where my delete button is.

In my endeavor to get the Su Gi returned to Korea, I have received
overwhelming support from list members, for which I am deeply grateful.
When appropriate, I contact individual members offline; sometimes it is
necessary to notify the entire membership.

Thomas