[KS] Re: Road signs and more than we want to know

John Harvey jharvey at nuri.net
Fri Jul 14 05:34:24 EDT 2000

Dear KuShiBo (and others):

    As you may know, I have been and still am one of the fiercest opponents
of the new Romanization system (on behalf both of native speakers and of
foreigners) -- more on that in a later e-ffusion -- but the claim that it
will feature internal caps is unfounded, if I read kacademy at sejong.or.kr
correctly. I do remember that that was one of the proposals being considered
last year, but then what wasn't?

    By the way, I also oppose the KH/KT "system," M-R without apostrophes or
breves (hey, folks, "diacritic" can be a noun, but "diacritical" is only an
adjective).  To set your mind at rest, KuShiBo, in MS Word (for English and
for the PC, so to speak) you can put a circumflex on a vowel by first
hitting Ctrl (+ Shft) + ^, and then the vowel (and similarly with the other
French/German/etc. accent marks, although not the breve).

    Isn't it ironic that now, after 20 years of unbelievably rapid progress
in personal computing (during which my memory and onboard storage have gone
up by factors of one thousand and one million, for just two indicators), in
the first year of the third millennium (by the popular reckoning), an
orthography should be determined by perceived hardware and software
limitations?  "It's not on the keyboard."  Had anybody at NAKL ever looked
at the keyboard options in Windows these days?

    Regards,

John Harvey
jharvey at nuri.net