[KS] Kyongbok Palace: History, Controversy, Geomancy

Henny Savenije adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Tue Jul 11 12:13:36 EDT 2000

http://128.220.50.88/journals/manoa/v011/11.2kang.html

Kyongbok Palace: History, Controversy, Geomancy
Min Soo Kang

We live amidst so many rumors. The stratum of rumor is thick and heavy. We
call this history and we call it culture.
It is a sad thing to live one's life as if listening to a rumor. When we
are no longer satisfied with rumors and seek the place of occurrence, that
is when we meet destiny.
Choi In Hoon, Kwangjang
Introduction
What follows is partly history, partly rumor, and partly confession.
I will trace the history of Kyongbok Palace in Seoul, the royal residence
of fifteen monarchs of Korea's Choson dynasty, from its original
construction in the late fourteenth century through the destructions and
reconstructions it underwent in the following five centuries. My narrative
will serve as historical background to the great controversy that lasted
from 1993 to 1995 over the question of demolishing the National Museum
Building, and will reveal not only a secret history of the palace--one
steeped in ancient, mystical beliefs--but also the problematic attitude
that modern Koreans have toward their past.

(to be continued on the website)
Henny  (Lee Hae Kang)

Feel free to visit
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl
and feel the thrill of Hamel discovering Korea (1653-1666)
In Korean
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/indexk2.htm