[KS] Re: custom and new environment:dog-eating

Brother Anthony anthony at ccs.sogang.ac.kr
Mon Jul 24 21:05:36 EDT 2000

Koreans who are active Buddhists seem not to accept dog-eating. They have
told me that it's because dogs are particularly close to humans in the
order of reincarnation, a good dog will be reincarnated as a human being,
but I reckon it's (also) because in the isolation of temples, dogs and
monks establish a much closer rapport than elsewhere, "monk's best
friend" so to speak. Definitely dogs are seen as A Good Thing, worthy of
respect. There are popular Buddhist tales (sometimes adapted for TV) of
temple dogs giving their lives to save a monk from fire or ghosts.
Nowadays, they are also expected to save temples from arsonists and
thieves, of course.
Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul