[KS] Indonesian music in Korea?

Richard C. Miller rcmiller at students.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 21 22:02:19 EDT 2000

Forgive me for introducing a question unrelated to dogs, transliteration,
or invasions, yet still I persist in asking. I have received a query as
to whether one of the Korean universities or colleges has a Javanese or
Balinese gamelan--for those of you who don't know, this would be some
kind of Indonesian orchestra consisting primarily of gongs, racks of
metal bars, and drums. (Organologists among the readership now have
permission to shudder at that description...) If there is one, it would
most likely be in a music department.

Has anyone seen anything like this? And while we're at it, what
<underline>is</underline> the position of foreign but non-Western music
(however so defined) in Korea these days?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

P.S. Like it or not, you have to admit that "Gorea" does resolve the
C-versus-K issue...

--Richard C. Miller

--UW School of Music

--Manado, Indonesia