[KS] Re: Hangeul / English version

Schroepfer Peter Mauro schroepf at mail.yonsei.ac.kr
Fri Jul 28 03:01:54 EDT 2000

> The latest issue of the Korea Foundation Newsletter (vol.9, No.3; May-June
> 2000) has a concise summary of the rules, including some "special
> provisions" which have not been mentioned in the messages.

Maybe you're talking about a different set of "provisions," but I
certainly mentioned some in a previous post
(http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/korean-studies/2000-07/0045.html).

The NAKL's webpage is going to be down from July 29 to August 1 because
they're being forced out of their prime real estate on the grounds of
TOksugung and out to near the airport. But in the meantime if you go to
their webpage at www.sejong.or.kr a window will pop up and the only English
you'll see will say "The Romanization of Korean." Click this and it
appears... but then without these provisions. At the end of this page it
says DOWNLOAD;  the Arae A Hangeul file you get from doing this includes
the provisions.

People who need the translation in something other than Arae A Hangeul
format might think of asking the NAKL directly at kacademy at sejong.or.kr or
the NAKL's Dr. Kim Sejung at kimsej at chollian.net. (Try asking for a
discount on their dictionary while you're at it. Otherwise it's more than
W300,000).

BTW: if anyone ever saw my name mentioned in the Korea Times (probably
not), they said they got my quote from "interviews, contributions, letters
to the editor"  though I've never talked to them. Also, they
DIS-translated something I wrote in Korean for their quote. I'm not sure
what to do about this, if anything. Maybe it's alright because they're not
really a newspaper, even if this is where the foreign community gets most
of its information from them.

So far I've heard of three supporters of the new system writing the Times
and Herald in support of the new system, but both have refused to include
these in their pages.