[KS] Re: Romanization

Tae Yang Kwak tkwak at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 6 00:21:03 EDT 2000

On a related note, about the spelling of Seoul.  Now I always thought it
was Seo-ul, with the 'eo' representing the 'O' vowel sound.  But I am told
that Seoul is actually a French transcription and not English.  It's
actually Se-oul, with the 'e' representing 'O', and 'ou' representing 'u'.
That's why some late-nineteenth cent. (pre-colonial era) English texts use
Chosen.  Although at first glance it looks like transcription of Japanese
and not Korean, it's that French 'e' = 'O'.

All trivia I suppose.
taeyang
Tae Yang Kwak <tkwak at fas.harvard.edu>
02-3277-5821