[KS] Re: Letter to KH on Romanization

Henny Savenije adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Sat Jul 15 12:33:43 EDT 2000

>As far as I can determine, only Bahasa Indonesian is written in the Roman
>alphabet with neither accent marks nor apostrophes, and only English and
>Hawaiian with no accent marks (but apostrophes). The rest of the world's
>Roman-alphabet languages and Romanization systems make use of accent
>marks, apparently without any serious worries about "informationization,"
>or resistance to Americanization, or for that matter problems intrinsic to
>keyboards and computer programs.

Not completely true, Dutch used to use the y with dots in the computer as
well. Bill Gates in all his wisdom decided it was not going to be used
anymore, so the Dutch now use the ij instead, I must admit the y with dots
did look ugly since it didn't fully represent the y with dots in Dutch, but
now it's altogether impossible, but obviously also acceptable. So accents
are only used for foreign words, often names coming from German or French.
But in Dutch itself not anymore.

Thought you wanted to know.

Henny  (Lee Hae Kang)

Feel free to visit
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl
and feel the thrill of Hamel discovering Korea (1653-1666)
In Korean
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/indexk2.htm