[KS] Re: dog-eating [was: Reginald Horace Blyth]

Richard C. Miller rcmiller at students.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 18 08:09:48 EDT 2000

At 11:26 PM 7/17/00 -0500, Edward J. Baker wrote:

<excerpt>I'd have to say I'm sick to death of this topic and the
sanctimonious American and European attitudes on it (I was going to say
"English" but then I remembered Bridget Bardot!).

</excerpt>

Um, I wasn't aware of sanctimony on the subject, at least on this list,
although a snicker or two (fully in the Dog Rib Moon spirit) was emitted
from my general direction. Mea culpa--the dog-eating jokes in this part
of Indonesia are inescapable.

The next time you have dog, though, you might bear in mind that this part
of Minahasa (not as big as even South Korea) had nearly ten times the
cases of rabies in 1997 as the entire country of the United States,
according to health department figures faithfully printed in the local
paper. Most of them were the result of dogs biting people, but a few were
apparently the result of people eating dogs. I avoid it for that reason.
Otherwise, it's OK if there are enough chilli peppers on it; lean, red
meat something like beef in texture.

Actually, it reminded me of ostrich when I first ate it.

Richard

--Richard C. Miller

--UW School of Music

--Manado, Indonesia