[KS] Re: Geographical database for Korea

kushibo jdh95 at hitel.net
Sun Jul 30 19:40:25 EDT 2000

Dr. Eckart Dege wrote:
> I got my QuoVadis software, on which I run my geograpical database for
> Korea, from the outdoor supplier Daerr in Munich/Germany. You will find
> their catalogue under http://www.daerr.de. They are also the only outlet
> I know of for the excellent Russian military maps (more than 40,000
> sheets worldwide).
>
> The company that developed the QuoVadis software has its own homepage
> under http://www.quovadis-gps.com. From this homepage you can download a
> demo version and the handbook (in German or English). The homepage
> itself is bilingual too (German and English).
>
> Let me stress again that the software does NOT come with maps of Korea.
> But you can easily import your own scanned maps (of Korea or any other
> part of the world) as I described in my original posting.

This reminds me of something else. Does anyone know the location of an
*up-to-date" map of Korea's political units (e.g., chikhalshi, do, etc.).
Seems to me that the ROK gov't has been expanding some of the chikalshi and
the intra-do shi. I was driving to the Tonggang River In Yông-wol-gun the
other day, and we entered Wonju-shi as soon as we entered Kangwon-do, but
there were road signs that indicated the actual city part of Wonju was still
18 km away. And Kanghwa-do (not to mention North Korea-scraping
Paengnyông-do) are now both part of Inchon-jikalshi. A nice little bit of
propaganda for the xenophobic elements of Korean academia: "the French and
the Americans invaded the city of Inchon in the late 19th Century!"
Taegu-jikalshi has now expanded, I think, so that this bastion of Kyôngbuk
values now abuts Kyôngnam as well. In all seriousness, given their vastness
and their tendencies to encompass large amounts of surrounding bucolic
regions, "chikalshi" would probably be best described (a la Japan) as
metropolitan prefectures rather than "big cities".

Not so long ago, Yôngdûngpo was outside of Seoul, and took a couple hours
for US troops to get to on the weekends. Seoul just swallowed it up. These
ever-morphing boundaries are fascinating (Korea is one of the few places,
I'm sure, where even in peacetime a province's capitol isn't actually in the
province), but it makes maps go out of date.

I was looking for an up-to-date map of Korea and it's administrative
boundaries, but all of them that appeared on my Lycos and Google searches
appear to be out-of-date, since they don't even include Ulsan-jikalshi.

And here's my question: anybody have a good on-line source for such a map?

K U S H I B O