[KS] call for papers

Henry H. Em henryem at umich.edu
Thu Jun 29 14:18:47 EDT 2000

Conference Dates:  May 3, 2001 - May 6, 2001.

     "Between Colonialism and Nationalism:  Soldiers,
Bureaucrats, Artists and Intellectuals in Korea, 1931-1950"

                        Call for Papers

   While acknowledging the violent and unique aspects
of Japanese colonialism in Korea (1910-1945) and the
defensive and democratic aspects of Korean nationalism,
this conference also questions the dichotomy that is
assumed to exist between Japanese colonialism and
Korean nationalism, and between Japanese colonialism
and post-1945 intervention by Soviet and American forces
in Korea.  Through critical, empirically based histories of
intellectual and social developments in and around Korea
between 1931 and 1950, we seek to add both depth and
variation to terms like "colonial modernity," "colonial legacy,"
and "nationalist resistance."
   In examining the 1930s and 1940s, we seek to formulate
new narrative strategies for writing the histories of individuals,
institutions, and consciousness during these two decades
of displacement, mobilization, and then civil war.  By
examining the parallels and interaction between Japanese
colonialism and Korean nationalism in the 1930s, and
between colonial modernity and nation-state building efforts
in post-1945 Korea, we seek a more critical understanding
of the ideology and practice of colonialisms and nationalisms
in Korea, Northeast Asia, and in Korean diasporic
communities during this turbulent period.
   We expect that this conference will result in the publication
of a volume of broad interest to scholars of Korea and East Asia.
This international conference will take place on the campus
of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, from May 3 through
May 6, 2001.  The papers are to be completed one-month
before the conference.  The conference chair will then
distribute copies of the papers to the conference participants,
and conference participants are expected to contribute to the
discussion of all the papers.  By October 1, 2000, scholars
interested in participating are invited to send a 300-word
abstract of their current, unpublished research, along with a
brief curriculum vitae, to:

   Henry H. Em (conference chair)
   Dept. of Asian Languages and Cultures
   3070 Frieze Building
   University of Michigan
   Ann Arbor, MI.  48109-1285
   Tel:  (734) 763-3556   Fax: 734-647-0157
   Email:  henryem at umich.edu