[KS] Ten Thousand Sorrows

Alina Oh alina.ny at koreasociety.org
Tue Jun 20 16:35:22 EDT 2000

I've just been skimming through the latest issue of the Korean Quarterly
(Summer 2000, Minnesota) and there are two book reviews written by Korean
American adoptees of Elizabeth Kim's book. Thought some of the readers of
this listserv might be interested to read:

"While the book is beautifully written, there is an uneasy sense that the
author has only probed superficially into the issues of Korean heritage and
culture. There is a disturbing lack of authenticity to some of the
passages. I do not claim to be an expert on Korea, but I have been there
more than 30 times and I know many experts on Korea. All of them have
confirmed what I was certain was true: the term 'honor killing' does not
apply to Korean culture. Sadly, it certainly is associated with other parts
of the world, but not Korea. I'm concerned that a typical reader will not
possess more than a casual knowledge and understanding of Korean culture,
and will assume this to be true. To present 'honor killing' as typical of
Korean culture is deeply disturbing and disrespectful of the truth about
Korean life and society." -- Susan Soon Keum Cox, Korean Quarterly Summer
2000

Alina Oh
Program Associate
The Korea Society