[KS] Inter Korean talks

Rupert Atkinson rupert at www.cuk.ac.kr
Fri Jun 9 09:21:52 EDT 2000

Just wondering what views some of the more experienced people on this list may
have concerning the upcoming talks.

My own view:
I think that the average South Korean is under the impression that the North Koreans
are going to be the underdogs in the upcoming talks.  However, if that were the case,
I think it would be difficult for progress to be made.   I woulld argue that Kim Jong-il's
recent visit to China combined with the sharp eye of Putin (should it be forthcoming)
may give North Korea the last minute dipolomatic clout it needs to be treated as a
real equal at the talks.  It is obvious that North Korea will expected to be treated as
an equal, and it will only be treated as an equal if it has enough real power behind it to
generate that respect.  So, it would seem that in order for their to be significant
progress, there would need to be a measure of real equality (=power) that can be
recognised by each partner.  China and Russia might be able to provide that, and
indeed, it might be part of the recepie for success.  (But if there is disaster, it is
these two who would be blamed).

Is my argument sound?
Any comments? ... either privately, or the the list.

Rupert Atkinson