[KS] Uisang Paiting

Yong-ho Choe choeyh at hawaii.edu
Tue Jun 20 02:54:54 EDT 2000

Dear colleagues:
   I would like to draw attention to a painting I recently discovered.  A monthly calendar of Japan Airlines that I have features for the month of June a painting that depicts an aspect of life of Uisang, a great Silla monk.  The title of the painting is (I give Korean reading of the Japanese Hanmun title) "HwaOmjong chosa hoejOn" (Pictorial tale of the progenitor of the HwaOm sect).  It is in 27 rolls, depicting "the life of Silla's eminent monks, Uisang and WOnhyo," according to its explanation.  A work of the Kamakura period (12th century), the painting is designated as a national treasurer of Japan and is being preserved at Kosanji in Kyoto.
   Is this painting well known?  Would Buddhist and art scholars be interested in pursuing this?  Although both Uisang and WOnhyo were prominent figures in Asian Buddhism, I was surprised to learn that their life stories were depicted in painting in Japan, going far back to the 12th century.  I thought some scholars might be interested in this.
   Cheer.
Yong-ho Choe, Professor
Department of History
University of Hawaii at Manoa