[KS] Re: Eulogy for Zo Zayong

David A. Mason mntnwolf at well.com
Wed Mar 22 07:18:50 EST 2000

Yong-ho Choe <choeyh at hawaii.edu> is correct about the
location of the Emille compound (behind which was Zo's
house).
The museum has been "Closed to the Public" for many
years now.  The collection could only be viewed by
invited visitors, and sometimes by the groups Zo
hosted at his educational festivals.

I heard third-hand that he gave away the collection
to some other person or organization several years
ago, as he could no longer defend it against Korea's
rampant old-art-thieves and icon-burners.  :-(
I'd love to know who has it, and how it could be
viewed, myself...

Brother Anthony wrote:
> anyway I hope that the passing of its founder does
> not mean that the collection is in any danger?

I'm afraid that ALL of Korea's antique Folk-shamanic
art is in grave danger, both from thief-gangs who sell
the works secretly to rich private collectors, and
from Christian fanatics who raid temples to destroy /
vandalize the icons.

As I traveled all over Korea intensively over the
past decade collecting photos for my recent book on
the San-shin, I was amazed to see all the shrine-doors
with heavy locks on them, and to hear the monks and
nuns tell of their fear and anger over the frequent
attacks from these two evils.  More than a dozen old
icons that I photographed before 1997 are now "gone".
This problem is growing worse every year. The temple-
folk say that the police and government officials will
usually not do anything about these cases, and the
media has declined to report about it (you know why).

In sorrow,
David Mason