[KS] Re: Eulogy for Zo Zayong

David McCann dmccann at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 21 09:00:11 EST 2000

Many thanks to David Mason for posting the memorial to Zo Zayong.  Can I
add a recollection?  I met him at the museum out near Kimpo back in 1974.
I had been wandering around the collections, and he happened to walk by.
We started talking, and he invited me into the office for tea and
continuing conversation.  I described my interest in Korean poetry,
especially, at that time, the sijo.  I remember how his eyes lit up at
that.  He turned in his chair, and without any apparent effort, launched
into a sijo song performance that took me by complete surprise.  His voice
dropped an octave, it seemed; I felt as if I had wandered into a deep
underground acoustic cavern.  I had never heard anything like it.  Nor
anything like it since then.  He then turned back to his desk and went on
to explain what he thought were some of the performance connections between
sijo and Buddhist chanting.

What notes won't do, memory makes up for.

David McCann