[KS] Golem/Frankenstein Motif in Korean or Other Asian Tradition?

David Kosofsky kosofsky at maincc.hufs.ac.kr
Tue Mar 14 01:26:10 EST 2000

I've been thinking recently about the folklore motif of the Golem, in
which human beings use God-like powers to create a human being from a lump
of clay (Hebrew `gelem' = lump).  The notion has been explored in the
Jewish tradition for at least 1800 years, and its influence in the
Christian world can be found in all manner of `black magic' stories,
Frankenstein, Sorcerer's Apprentice, and so on.  Renewed interest in this
notion has come from popular journalism about robotics and artificial
intelligence, and most recently the advent of cloning.

What I'm trying to learn is whether the Judeo-Christian tradition is
uniquely obsessed with humans taking on God-like creative powers, or
whether the same idea finds expression elsewhere. To that end I would
appreciate any examples that any list-members can supply of Golem-motif
folklore in Korean or other Asian traditions. Any, say, Taoist
wonder-tales where a sage creates a human or quasi-human being?

With thanks,

David Kosofsky
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
Seoul