[KS] R: Interesting site

Andrea Campana ancampana at libero.it
Mon Mar 27 01:54:48 EST 2000

The remarks and the document furnished by Henny is very interesting and it
is explaining lot about Koreans' feelings, in particular about the feelings
of the Korean-American people. I think that it is at least explaining in a
"scientific" way (!) the reason for the name of the ICAS (from which the
whole discussion has started, if you remember).

Andrea Campana

----------
> Da: Henny Savenije <adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl>
> A: korean-studies at mailbase.ac.uk
> Oggetto: Interesting site
> Data: domenica 26 marzo 2000 18.22
>
> For those of you who don't want to surf the net, I picked this up from
the
> following URL
>
>   http://goldsea.com/Poll/corea.html
>
> I have no intention to fire up the discussion we already had a couple of
> months ago, this is just for your information, since I have proof that
the
> name Korea existed already before the Japanese came in.
>

>        KOREA OR COREA?
>
> We at GoldSea choose to honor the more natural rendering commonly used in

> the English-speaking world prior to the Japanese annexation and
> colonialization of Corea beginning in 1905.
>       American and English books published during the latter half of the
> 19th century generally referred to the nation as "Corea" as recently as
the
> years immediately preceding Japan's formal annexation of Corea in 1910.
An