[KS] Jin Hee Kim /Korean Research Foundation

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
Mon May 29 19:52:08 EDT 2000

>>Probably the other materials that I would like to get will be about the
>>sources of Korean immigrants to European countries at that time.
>>Can anybody point me out where I need to go to find, and whom I need to
>>contact?

A few unpopular remarks -- but first a tip:

For GERMANY you may want to contact Alexander Kneider (who resides in
Korea) -- visit his Web page "Germans in Korea prior to 1910" at:
http://maincc.hufs.ac.kr/~kneider/  -- and Professor Ingeborg Göthel
(now retired, formerly at Humboldt University in Berlin). For THE
NETHERLANDS most obviously Henny Savenije
(http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl), who also lives in Korea, could
be of some help -- and of course Professor Boudewijn Walraven at
Leiden University (walraven at letmail.let.leidenuniv.nl).

As far as I know, other than in the French case, there were no
missionary activities in Korea before the 1920s by German orders. BUT
there is a great number of publications in different German language
missionary journals from the late 19th century to the end of the
colonial period. Only part of it appears in bibliographies.

The city of Berlin offers an unbelievable wealth of published and
unpublished materials on Korea. Many buildings were destroyed in
World War II, but many of the archives survived nonetheless. Even
during a short visit (already a decade ago) I "discovered" a wealth
of materials in both city and private archives (in the western part
of the city) about some Koreans I was interested in at the time.
Berlin is a real treasure box, and I am sure Paris and London are as
well. However, in spite of all the nice funding from the Korean
Research Foundation it will be very hard for you to succeed: there
are many different places, many different archives -- apart from the
Staatsarchiv Preussischer Kulturbesitz, the libraries, the museum
archives, private archives, etc.  I wonder if the Korean Research
Foundation (or you) would not do MUCH better to hire some German,
French, British students in Korean studies to do this as a summer
job. I cannot speak for Paris and London, but at least in the German
case I can assure you that someone interested in the subject who
actually knows his city and its institutions, and who has all the
connections or is able to quickly make the connections, speaks the
language etc., is very likely to be much more successful in such a
search. The Korean Research Foundation would do itself a double
favour: it would most likely have sponsored a very successful
project, and it would help Korean studies students in Europe.
Besides, the entire project would be cheaper (no hotel costs, no air
tickets, etc.).

Just my opinion.

Much success!

Frank

Frank Hoffmann * 4903 Manitoba Dr.#202 * Alexandria, VA 22312 * USA
E-MAIL: hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu  *  Fax: (520) 438-4890
W W W : http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~hoffmann/