[KS] Dr. Zo Zayong Kut May 7

Lauren Deutsch ldeutsch at lalc.k12.ca.us
Mon May 1 02:30:32 EDT 2000

As this is my first communique to the list, I'd like to introduce myself.

While I may be more widely known (if at all!) for having produced a literary
series for broadcast by National Public Radio stations (via KCRW, Santa
Monica CA) of 20th century Korean shot stories, I also have authored two
illustrated articles about Dr.Zo and his work in Kyoto Journal ("New Roads
to the Old Gods" vol. 36
http://www.kampo.co.jp/kyoto-journal/kjback/kjback9.html...) and Korean
Culture (Korean Consulate, Los Angeles 1998) following my visits with him as
a guest of Hi-ah Park, manshin, in 1996 and 1997. In addition to my own, he
generously lent me photographs from his extensive collection. I have audio
tape from interviews. I also wrote an article on Hi-Park, manshin, for Kyoto
Journal.

I am very interested in establishing an archive -- perhaps on line -- of Dr.
Zo's work in English translation. He authored several autobiographical and
research book, not to mention left a huge legacy of collected and original
artworks and a small fledgling organization of individuals and families who
celebrated life with him.

Likewise the work of Hi-ah Park, manshin, who has been teaching at the
university level and presenting seminars and workshops internationally. Her
deep knowledge of Korean culture is impeccable and her understanding of the
core aspects of shamanism -- ecstatic, trance dance, theatre, etc. are of
the highest quality and very under-valued except by those who have
experienced her work.

I also would like to participate in any projects which have to do with
traditional Korean cultural life as it is still practiced in the
countryside. I know there is very little official support for indigenous
life -- the arts, in particular,  as proper recognition of Korean culture.

I just have been informed by a friend and associate of Dr. Zo Zayong in
Korea that a "Jinohgui-Kut" will be held by Kim Kuem-Hwa, manshin, for Dr.
Zo at the Samshin Folk Academy at Songnisan near Po'un on May 7, 1:00pm,
marking the 100th day of his passing.

I will be attending this ritual for my late friend and teacher, arriving in
Seoul / Kimpo on Saturday at 3pm. It seems to be open to anyone and I'd be
pleased to have company. I plan to take the public bus to Po'un and a cab
from there. If you haven't visited this facility or don't know Dr. Zo's work
as a scholar / artist / ceremonialist, or if you haven't attended a
traditional village celebration, do consider this an invitation to join me.
They say there are local hotel rooms available. I plan to be in Korea
through May 22 and may return via Japan.

Thank you for your collegial response.