[KS] Re: two queries (on the first...)

Michael Goodwin mgoodwin at greenvillenc.com
Wed May 31 10:58:20 EDT 2000

"Kaliher, Kenneth L." wrote:

> On your first query:
>
> By coincidence, a friend in Australia just this past week read to my wife
> over the phone an excerpt from Elizabeth Kim's "Ten Thousand Sorrows:  The
> Extraordinary Journey of a Korean War Orphan" ($16.07 in hardcover from
> Amazon.com), in which the author recalls watching from her crib as her
> mother was hanged in the same room by the mother's father and brother for
> the crime of having had a child not only out of wedlock but by a foreign
> barbarian.

Elizabeth Kim's book is really making waves.

In an article entitled, "The Next Angela's Ashes?" Publishers Weekly (Jan 24,
2000 p.253) writes: "... when agent Patti Breitman brought [Kim's book] proposal
to Doubleday, the publisher made a peremptory offer in the mid-six figures
according to book editor Amy Scheibe, for North American rights. Rights have
since been sold in nine other countries ... `it is a very big book for us' says
Sandee Yuen, Associate Director of publicity for Doubleday"

Mike Goodwin (Toronto, CA & Greenville, NC)