[KS] Re: Charles Dallet

Jacqueline Pak jyp8 at starpower.net
Wed May 31 21:46:04 EDT 2000

Dear Prof. Ledyard,

Thank you very much for your "little" (!) introduction on Dallet.
Years ago, I read an excerpt of it in Vincent Brandt's class and remained
curious about it.
The question of whether it was a first-hand account or not arose, because I
recall that there were those who were deeply offened by some of Dallet's
descriptions of Koreans with his strong sense of racial and cultural
superiority.  Not surprising for his time, perhaps.  And especially as a
Catholic priest on a civilizing mission to convert the Korean 'barbarians'
into Christians.

Going beyond the recently mentioned bibliographies and works of translation,
which are of course basics for more substantive research on the late Choson
period, however, I wonder whether there are works which serve as Orientalist
critique of early missionaries' writings on Koreans, or other Asians.

Thanks,
Jacqui