[KS] Re: Charles Dallet and 1871 Incident

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
Sat May 20 12:35:01 EDT 2000

Yes, that is right. Dallet never visited Korea.

>  How about our bib. experts such as Ken Robinson and Frank?

But Jacqui, you must be joking, aren't you? Isn't this your job -- as
head librarian of the Korean section of the Library of Congress?
The Library of Congress online catalog ( http://catalog.loc.gov/ )
lists quite a number of works by Charles Dallet, including
translations into English -- actually, it maybe the same translation
in two different editions -- not sure. I have the translation of his
English INTRODUCTION to his _Histoire de l'Église de Corée_ (1874)
now in front of me, but it has only a one page preface by the series
editor (so this isn't of any help if you are trying to find
biographical information about Dallet). Dallet's INTRODUCTION is
about 200 pages long and an *essential* part of his work. Also, there
is a full translation (in three volumes) into Korean, published in
1979/80.

For all those who really seem to be lost if it comes to finding
bibliographic references: all this has become soooooo easy these
days. Why not making a quick keyword search in the Library of
Congress online catalog, then one in Harvard's online "Union Catalog"
(http://holliswebnew.harvard.edu/), and another in our _Harvard
Korean Studies Bibliography_ (http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~korbib/)
(not online). And for fine tuning and East Asian language works you
can after that try the various other links I provide on my Library
Gateway page (http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~hoffmann/6.html).

Frank

>Hello all,
>
>When I met Key P. Yang the other day, he told me that Dallet actually wrote
>his work without visiting Korea.
>Do others know anything about this?
>
>Also, I found the 1871 incident and website very interesting. Can someone
>cite more sources on this event which has not been much explored?  How about
>our bib. experts such as Ken Robinson and Frank?
>

>Thank you,
>Jacqui

Frank Hoffmann * 4903 Manitoba Dr.#202 * Alexandria, VA 22312 * USA
E-MAIL: hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu  *  Fax: (520) 438-4890
W W W : http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~hoffmann/