[KS] Re: Still doubting about the rendering of Korea prior to Japanese occupation?

Michael Finch mcefinch at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 16 04:48:16 EDT 2000

Dear Richard Miller,

In some respects the documents that you quote might be
considered to support the conspiracy theory. From 1905
until 1910 Korea was not a colony of Japan but a
protectorate and retained vestiges of independence.
Its foreign relations, however, were conducted by
Japan. At this time, as you point out, Japan chose to
refer to Korea as "Korea". After 1910 when Korea was
no longer an independent nation but a part of the
Japanese empire, the Japanese revert to the
traditional term Chosen as Korea's alphabetical
ranking in the world's list of independent nations was
no longer relevant.

>From my own research into Min YOng-hwan's 1896 mission
to the coronation of Tsar Nicholas II, I found that
Min (as ChosOn's Minister Plenipotentiary) was
received at diplomatic functions before the Japanese
representative Yamagata Aritomo. This fact caused Min
considerable concern as he felt that it was certain to
offend the Japanese. His Russian assistants reassured
him by telling him about the Western practice of
receiving diplomats according to the alphabetical
precedence of the nation that they represented. The
fact that Min expressed such concerns does suggest to
me that at the time this could have been a potential
source of irritation to the Japanese.
   The fact that the Japanese also did not insist on
being referred to as Nippon in western contexts might
also suggest that they may have been sensitive to
where this would have placed them in the alphabetical
rankings.

--- "Richard C. Miller" <rcmiller at students.wisc.edu>
wrote: > Dear Henny,