[KS] MBC folksong collection

owner-korean-studies at iic.edu owner-korean-studies at iic.edu
Thu Nov 2 09:43:56 EST 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear fellow membranes,

As most of you will know, MBC have recorded a huge number of folksongs
throughout the country between 1989 and 1996. Of the some 14,000 songs
recorded, 1,800 were published on 103 CDs and 9 explanatory books which were
subsequently donated to domestic and foreign universities and libraries.
Because MBC can no longer afford to send out more copies or CDs of the kind,
the team has only just compiled a compilation of these (12 CDs, 256 songs)
that
includes children songs, working songs and funeral songs and can be purchased
for a mere 150,000 Won.

Personally, I think it's very "good value" (forgive me the expression). It
includes a booklet (335 pages) with transcriptions of all songs, both in
Korean
and English. The compilation is called "Anthology of Korean Traditional
Folksongs". Those interested should contact "Chief Producer at Radio
Production
4" Mr. Choi Sang-il directly, at sichoi at mbc.co.kr

addendum: for the last three years, Choi and his team have been working on
shaman rituals. Radio broadcasting of these have been difficult due
to "opposition from the side of the Christians".

Roald Maliangkay