[KS] homosexuality in South Korea

matty wegehaupt o_matty at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 16:05:56 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

>From: Kevin.P.Parks.Adv97 at alum.dartmouth.org (Kevin P. Parks Adv97)
>Meanwhile i happened to be called "oppa" once by some boys in the train
>station and was surprised at how brash they were considering how massive
>the
>homophobia
>is here.

>-kp--
>
>Seoul Institute of the Arts
>
>kevin at raven.dartmouth.edu

thanks for your interesting anecdote.  You encouraged me to finally
respond
to this wonderful thread.  I had a very similar experience while living
in
the so called backwaters of kwangju in 1998.  the underground shopping
area
under geumnamno had more than its fair share of budding young queens to
be.
their degree of "flamingness" (to use such an unscholarly phrase) was
astounding (and rather stylish and cute, if i may add).  they certainly
would have been pummeled in my midwestern late 80s suburban high school,
had
they looked like that, with stylish yet modest purses, flowering
scarves,
eyeliner.   they asked me funny questions and also, like you mentioned,
played with the gender based words (calling each other unni... for
example.
something you sometimes see in america too, where gay/bi men  may call
each
other sister or girlfriend).  if this behavior isn't at lease a kind of
"°Å¹Ö¾Æ¿ô..." i don't know what is. i also rode the bus with two or
three
middle aged gender benders, in these cases both male, looking quite the
sultry ajuma.  as you can imagine, they were roundly ignored, except for
few younger people in the back of the bus (myself included), catching
glimpses, displaying in their eyes and faces obvious consternation,
confusion and ultimately, at least it seemed so, a certain spark of
recognition and the uncouncious sly smile and giggle that comes with
symbolically "joining in the act."

staking social positions, through dress or language is also a means of
public proclamation.  while not literal (or commercial) as in the case
of
Hong Suk chon, they were involved in an act of identity creation based,
at
least partly, on their sense of sexual/gender "difference."  so, while
the
language is borrowed, i think the act itself of "°Å¹Ö¾Æ¿ô..." is rooted
firmly in the daily life of Korean people in Korea.  while the subject
matter "same sex love" is certainly radical to insert into the public
literary arena, the idea of staking out a particular and possibly
radical
identity, is not.  Self-conscious subject formation is an ongoing
project of
the Korean people.  therefore,   "°Å¹Ö¾Æ¿ô..." can in some way be seen
as
"Korean" not "Western."  it is not simply mimicry.

thank you everybody who is contributing to this thread.  i am in the
process
of formulating a paper on this exact topic.  what i would like to ask is
if
anyone has any good ideas to share about the presentation of same sex
love
in Korean film?  I have heard much good about "Broken Branches" but of
course, have not had an opportunity to see it.  Any other movies that
explore/expose this topic?

Also, wondering if anyone has any information about two institutions,
ancient and traditional, chock full of randy lads close in proximity to
one
another 24/7: the military and the sangha.  Does anyone have any
information
about accounts of samesex love, love letters, poetry, etc. amongst
soldiers,
sailors, or monks?  I met one monk who was quite open about his
homosexuality.  He had his own little
am-ja (all by himself) in Cholla-nam do.  He had a number of students
and
continual visitors, including monks, local ajumas and at least one young
gay
couple from the city.  I don't know much more about his story: his
certification, his master, his relationship to which jong. But his
physical
presence spoke to a very interesting phenomenon.  that is, a person
representing a role for which sexuality is prohibited, self-identifying
as
gay!  and in a country that is often monolithically described as "so
conservative."

so many already have expressed the idea that because of the lack of
representation of, not only the topic "same sex love/homosexuality", but
more importantly the human beings who are the creators of this
activity.
since the concept "gay life" did not exist at one time, it is of course
correct to say that this concept is new.  but, gay life itself, the
social
activity of the men and women who have, do and will lust, fantasize,
discuss
and participate in samesex love is not, can not be new.  the particular
brand is new,no doubt; modern Korea2000 style - with web sites and
koreanized English terms to boot.   being "out" and being korean, at
least
to gay koreans, is certainly not a new issue to suddenly engage.
I hate to admit that a digitally filmed, cheap, neo-guerilla style
documentary of "gay life" in seoul or korea in general (puson, taejon,
kwangju µî all have much to discover for the gay person) would be
entertaining, fun and informative to the nines.  The reason i hate to
admit
that is that it would also be harmful and destabilizing to many people.
herein lies a rather critical and specific question for western
scholarship
in Asia, especially vis a vis Orientalism:  How much of what westerners
research and write about homosexuality/same sex love in Korea will cause
real harm to real people?  maybe it's a more personal or rhetorical
question, but i share it anyhow.

warmly,

matty wegehaupt (please accept in advance my apologies for any lack of
spelling, idea formulation, academicalness, transliteration, etc. etc.)

ucberkley