[KS] Re: Public awareness of homosexuality in South Korea

k u s h i b o jdh95 at hitel.net
Sun Oct 8 20:41:36 EDT 2000

Reply to: kushibo at mac.com
Sender: owner-korean-studies at iic.edu

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Yuh Ji-Yeon wrote:

> the current gay/queer culture in north america is a 20th century phenomenon,
> as is the accompanying practice of coming out. but modernity in north america
> predates the 20th century, does it not? so what exactly makes current
> gay/queer culture in north america modern? and what is the usefulness of
> defining it as modern? i would suggest that its usefulness in part derives
> from making/taking another opportunity to position the west as advanced and
> universal -- as being the template for modernity. and thus positioning other
> cultures and countries as once again mimicking the west when homosexuality
> becomes an issue. this is not to deny that some concepts and behaviors are
> taken from the west, but we need to pay attention to how these concepts and
> behaviors are modified, even transformed. there is no blind mimicry.

I don't agree. When I heard this argument before, it was part of an
explanation of how homophobic non-acceptance of heterosexuality (the
act)
forced homosexuals into a congealed subculture, from which arose gayness
(the lifestyle).

Thus, as it was explained to me, rather than exalting "the West" as
advanced, it was bashing the West's homophobic tendencies.

K U S H I B O