[KS] "Hof"? Nobel!

Mark Peterson Mark_Peterson at byu.edu
Fri Oct 13 13:54:18 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

>Hof???
>
>			Peace Prize!!!!!
>

>In a letter to his son sent from prison in 1980, KDJ wrote "... we
>should forgive gladly because it leads to peace and reconciliation."

David, you're right!  We should be talking about the Peace Prize (not
that the etymology of Seoulyo^khop'u^, and Ariranghop'u^ isn't
interesting).  What a tremendous day for Korea.

My wife brought me the phone when I was in the shower this morning; a
colleague from my department was calling.  When I washed the soap out
of my hair, and still dripping wet I offered a wary "hello", to be
greeted by, "chukhahamnida" -- I paused thinking of what I had done,
nothing, when he went on to tell me the news.

Of all people, those who have perhaps longed more for the international
recognition symbolized by any of the Nobel prizes, our
Korean friends deserve this honor.  It's not just for DJ, I think, and
noticed my other colleagues at school were congratulating each other.
It's a great day.  One to write in the journal -- one of those you'll
remember where you were when you heard it.

For DJ, the thirteenth time is the charm!  (13 nominations)

best to you all,
Mark Peterson